Family-based permanent residency
I. Immediate Relatives
Immediate Relatives are not subject to a numerical limit within the overall cap, and are restricted to: children, spouses, and parents of a U.S. Citizen, and certain widows and widowers of U.S. Citizens. If applying for a parent, the U.S. Citizen son or daughter must be 21 years or older, and if applying for a child, the child must be under 21 years of age and unmarried.
II. Family-Sponsored Preference Categories
- First Preference (F1) – Unmarried sons and unmarried daughters of United States Citizens.
- Second Preference:
- (F2A) – Spouses and unmarried children under 21 of legal permanent residents.
- (F2B) – Unmarried sons and daughters over 21 of legal permanent residents.
- Third Preference (F3) – Married sons and daughters of United States Citizens.
- Fourth Preference (F4) – Brothers and sisters of United States Citizens.